Girl’s Night: DIY Holographic Tumblers
When it’s chilly outside and all you want to do is stay indoors, the best way to be social is by organizing a craft night! Craft nights are a fun way to gather with friends and family without ever needing to leave the comfort of your own home! At craft night you’re creating more than just crafts, you’re also making memories.
For your next craft night consider customizing your very own holographic tumbler! Tumblers are all the rage right now, because they’re functional and customizable. Whether you’re a busy mom who’s got to have her morning coffee on the run or a yogi who finds zen with a spot of afternoon tea, a custom tumbler can be your new best friend. There are endless possibilities of what you can put on blank tumblers, so tap into your imagination! Grab the snacks and wine, because you’re going to want to get your next craft night on the books when you hear how to make these custom holographic tumblers.
What To Consider When Selecting A Tumbler
Tumblers are a household essential that gets used almost every day, because they’re convenient even for the busiest people. As a result, the people attending your craft night may require different features out of their tumbler to have it perfectly fit their lifestyle. Here are some options to throw out to your craft night attendees, so you can get them the perfect tumbler.
If you want the best tumblers for your craft night, you’ll want to go with kitchen grade stainless steel tumblers. Why are stainless steel tumblers so popular?
- Stainless steel tumblers are ultra durable.
- You’ll get a lot of use out of them for years to come.
- Stainless steel is a food grade material.
- They’re BPA free.
- Stainless steel tumblers don’t sweat on the outside, like acrylic.
- Stainless steel doesn’t harbor bacteria.
- They’re eco-friendly because steel is recyclable.
The lids and straws that accompany your tumblers also come in different materials. You can find clear acrylic tops and straws as well as stainless steel tumbler lids that come with a stainless steel straw or a sliding lid to secure your drink while you travel. You may also find lids and straws that are silicone on the crafting market. All are great lid options.
Here’s what to consider when picking tumbler size:
- How much are you and your fellow crafters planning on drinking during the course of a day?
- Do you just need a tumbler to hold your morning coffee or are you hoping to hold half a day’s worth of water?
- What liquid will the tumbler be holding? There are 12 oz tumblers that hold your wine, 30 oz tumblers that will hold your water when you workout at the gym, and many sizes in between!
As the gratuitous craft night host, make sure you ask everyone at craft night ahead of time what they’re hoping to use their tumblers for. There are so many different sizes of tumblers that you’re sure to find something for all of your guests.
Style of Tumbler
Once you’ve nailed down how many ounces you want your tumblers to hold, you get to decide what style of tumbler you’d like to craft. The two major types are straight and tapered. A straight tumbler has no variation in diameter from top to bottom, whereas a tapered tumbler may have a larger diameter up top and taper off towards the base. Tapered tumblers are ideal for a gal on-the-go!
Before you buy your tumblers, make sure that it will fit nicely into the cup holder of your car. No use having a tumbler that you can’t take on the go. If you have a small desk, you may also want to choose a tumbler with a smaller diameter.
If you’re going to be drinking hot drinks, you’ll want to double check that the tumbler you pick has great insulation. Vacuum sealed tumblers are designed for use with hot or cold beverages. If you’re using resin to craft, this is particularly important, because if the resin gets too hot from the drink you put inside, your craft could end up unusable.
Can’t decide between two types of blank tumblers? Check out the website reviews. It’ll help you determine the pros and cons of each tumbler, so you can find what will work best for you and your craft night friends.
DIY Holographic Glitter Tumblers
When you roll up to your workplace after craft night with a glitter tumbler, you’re going to be the talk of the office! Everyone will want to know where you purchased it, and you’ll get the pleasure of telling them it’s a one-of-a-kind original! Don’t be shocked if you go home with a whole list of glitter tumbler requests from your co-workers. As incredible as they look, glitter tumblers are also pretty straightforward to make. Yay! Here’s what you need to know about making glitter tumblers at craft night.
- Tack-It Glue - buy here
- Holographic Fine Glitter
- Small Craft Paint Brush
- Mod Podge - buy here
✼ For fun, consider adding flare with vinyl and a vinyl cutter such as a silhouette machine. This is totally optional!
- Clean your tumbler with some dish soap and water or rubbing alcohol.
- Put a small amount of Mod Podge into a container and use your craft paint brush to apply the Mod Podge in even strokes the length of the tumbler. You want the entire outside of the tumbler coated in Mod Podge evenly.
- Turn on some music, it's not a girls night without music!
- Place a piece of paper underneath your tumbler.
- Grab your holographic glitter and sprinkle the glitter over the tumbler as evenly as possible. You want to make sure the entire tumbler is coated with your holographic glitter.
- When you’re done applying your glitter, fold the piece of paper with excess glitter in half, and pour the excess glitter back into the glitter container. This helps you save glitter so you can reuse it for your next project!
- Set your tumbler aside for a few minutes allowing the Mod Podge to become tacky. This would be a good time to get some drinks and snacks!
- After your snack break, hold your tumbler with one hand and use the other hand to tap down the glitter. Make the glitter as flat as possible.
- Once the glitter is as flat as possible, use your index and middle finger to rub the glitter as if you are rubbing the glitter into the cup. You will ultimately be rubbing the glitter off leaving a holographic shine.
- Now that you have your cool and crafty tumbler, we need to seal it! The fastest and easiest way, especially for a craft night would be to use Mod Podge. If you want a more durable effect, you can use epoxy, but that will be another blog for another day as epoxy gets more involved.
- Grab that paint brush and Mod Podge and cover the tumbler again with another layer.
- Once it's coated well, it needs time to dry.
- While your tumbler dries, you can choose to add in some extra flare if you have the optional vinyl cutting machine. Find your favorite animal, favorite quote, or a catchy saying. Use the machine to cut your design from vinyl.
- Apply your transfer tape and when your cup is dry apply your decal.
- Finally, add another layer of Mod Podge to seal the vinyl.
- Once dry, give your holographic tumbler a light wash and enjoy your favorite beverage! Cheers!
Holographic tumblers are the ideal craft for an evening with the ladies. From start to finish these tumblers can be made in a few hours.
Popular Stainless Steel Tumblers